Laithwaites Wine Club Review – (Pictures) 4 THINGS TO KNOW
Alright, so, I’ve tried a bunch of these wine clubs from Direct Wines, including Laithwaites. And let me tell you, getting the free bonus gifts is pretty cool! They know that many of these clubs are sent as gifts and adding that free gift is a real bonus that gets people more excited than just a box of wine.
The wines will come from both international and domestic wineries and there is huge discount if this is your first time, your first shipment with them, so take advantage of that if you are knew. I also went for a mixed pack which was both white AND red, but you can choose all whites or all reds as well.
I won’t go over all twelve bottles I received, but mention a few of my favorites from the shipment, like the Pillastro Primitivo 2013, an Italian wine that has a spicy vanilla flavor that I haven’t really experienced before. Historically, I am not a huge fan of Italian wine, but this changed my mind almost instantly. What was I thinking?!
Another great selection was the Domain du Vallon Plan de Dieu 2013. Wow, that is a mouth full. Now THIS is my kind of wine. At around $20 for one bottle of this, getting this in a wine club that only costs $69 is a HUGE value. This wine has a berry flavor with a hint of pepper, one of my favorite combinations in a bottle.
If you don’t know much about wine, this is a great learning opportunity as well! On top of the wine, they will send you tasting notes which contain everything you need to be able to determine the aromas and tastes of a variety of fruit, spices, pepper, tobacco, and many other subtleties that every bottle contains.
Let’s dive into the pros and cons and then my final verdict on whether you should sign up for a shipment for yourself.
- 12 Bottles! Lots of good wine. Imagine someone opening up a present that contains twelve bottles of wine and a corkscrew. I would seriously hug you after getting a gift like that.
- Tasting information. You get a guide that tells you what you should smell, taste, and pair with each bottle of wine. If you are a newbie to wine, this can be really cool. If you are a novice, you can test your tasting skills and really train your palette to find those aromas and flavors and subtle hints of spices, oak, cedar, etc.
- Free stuff! Corkscrew. I’ll take it! Also, adds to the gift giving experience. Stop giving boring gift cards people, spice it up a little with wine or food.
- Whites or Reds or a mixed shipment, whatever you prefer.
- Shipping. $20. But keep in mind, when you factor in that 12 bottles of wine weighs a lot, I guess it’s not that bad. And you only have to pay it every three months. Some companies charge $10-15 every single month for a two to four bottle shipment.
So, what is my verdict? Is this a pass, consider, or a recommend? I’ve always been a fan of Direct Wines and I think Laithwaites lives up to the hype. I would recommend them to a friend and I would also buy them for myself.
That initial deal with a free corkscrew is just too cool to pass up. I’d easily buy this is a heartbeat. If you are a wine connoisseur who only wants the best, most expensive wines around the world for your wine cellar collection, this probably isn’t the right one for you. But if you are a normal human being like me, it’d be worth the money for this one.