Virgin Wines Explorer Club Review – 6 Things to Consider
One of the newer wine clubs that we’ve seen pop up is the virgin wines club. Now, I haven’t tried them just yet, but I have tried wine clubs from the company that owns them “Direct Wines” which has a couple of 12 bottle wine club offerings. So, I am very familiar with what you will be getting in terms of quality, price, customer service, and etc, so let’s dive in.
I tried Zagat, WSJ, and the 4 Seasons wine clubs which all are owned by the same company and offer the same 12 bottles deal. With those companies, I’ve received free wine glasses, corkscrews, and also the tasting notes. The difference with this one, is the free gift is an electric corkscrew which lights up, pretty cool in my book. WSJ has a hand crank corkscrew and Zagat was four small wine glasses.
Since you get a free gift, this club works really well as a present to give someone else and also very fun for yourself. The quality of wine is pretty good and they do a really nice job of getting selections from all over the globe, so you are not just stuck with California and Washington, which is a big thumbs up from me. I’d like to get a shipment of this wine to get even more familiar with any recent changes they’ve made, so I might have to buy one of these.
Anyway, let’s dive into the pros and cons to see how this company stacks up against the competition.
- PRICE. The initial price of $69.99 is pretty darn good, especially for twelve bottles of wine. However, you should know that the price goes up after the first shipment. This is just an introductory offer. Every three months, you will get another shipment for $139.99, which still isn’t that bad, FYI.
- CORKSCREW. Free. Says it is worth $50, but probably more like $35, but hey, it’s free, so whatever, doesn’t bother me. I’ve never had an electric corkscrew, but they look good to me.
- Options. Red. White. Mixed. You can choose whatever you like best. I’m a red guy myself, but a fruity white from time to time is delicious.
- Brochures. They provide you with all the colorful cool brochures you could desire with information about the selection of wine that they send you. What you should smell, taste, and even pair with your wine. Thumbs way up.
- Shipping. Bummer. It’s like $20 every three months for your shipment.
- FYI. You don’t get 12 different wines, you will get 8 wines, some that are double doses of the same exact one. Not a deal breaker, but it is something you should be aware of.
I’ve tried all of the Direct Wines wine club offering and I have been consistently happy with their customer service, their wine, and the cool gifts that come with your initial orders.
So, is this a pass, consider, or a recommend? For me, my friends, it is a recommend! I would by this wine club for myself and might just pick up a Virgin Wines one right now. Also, I would recommend this to a friend and give this as a gift, so that’s a huge compliment to them.
The overall experience is really high for me. I really don’t have any real complaints, just a few nit picky things that you can read in the cons section, but other than those, you should have a good experience. If you don’t, you can add your review here and let others know about what kind of experience you had.